Julia's theme project reflection

        Greetings! We have all completed our second presentation of this course. We have one more left for this summer! I see the light at the end of the tunnel. This presentation was very informative and opened my eyes up about the world of disabilities. ACCESS director Corrine Lockamy was there when we firsthand that we had another project presentation due soon. She made a powerpoint show about the different topics we can choose from. I was apart of group 2 and we settled on a topic called “Autism and Traumatic Brain Disorder. It’s amazing how rewarding it felt once I completed this presentation with my classmates. Our hard work did not go unnoticed. We all worked together and learned. Our group spoke about autism and traumatic brain injury and we received an A!I underestimated this topic heavily. I was impressed with all that I learned from the extensive research that I looked up on google and on the Miami-Dade College library.


         To begin working, we all split up different topics we can speak about the subject on. I chose Savant syndrome and I was really excited to learn more about this interesting syndrome that I know a lot do not know about. I will be teaching my audience about this and it gave me great joy. The first group that presented was group number. There topic was about physical and visual impairment. I suffer from a visual impairment that’s affected me throughout my entire life. I still feel like a normal, healthy person! On the day after they presented. We were next. I did not present the first time so this was officially the first time I presented in front of my class. I was so nervous I felt that it would be inevitable to mess up my part of the group.I did not want to be judged for any mistakes. I was really scared. I was the last people to go (second to last) and wow it felt like a wave of not-worrying washed my fears away and I followed through on my delivering. I am so proud if myself for pushing to complete what I had started to do. That week on a Friday, the last group of the class presented their wonderful project “learning disabilities and deaf/hard of hearing” Unfortunately, I was not in class that day due to technical difficulties. However, I did go back on blackboard and watched the recorded sessions and was able to watch the presentation again. 


        All of the groups were organized which is the hardest part in maintaining within a group. I really enjoyed watching these lovely groups perform and I was even happier I got over my fears and faced them head on. Life with a disability must be really challenging for someone to go through but we can all learn and rsaise awareness to let those affected people know we are there supporting them.This class is my favorite to attend to and every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I am grateful and am going to miss having this class



Comments

Popular Posts